Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, 31 May 2015

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You GoI Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I have just finished reading this debut novel. Debut novel. Yes...debut novel! I am utterly astounded this year so far as I have read a few debut novels and only a few stood out, this is DEFINITELY one of them.

The beginning of the story pulls at your heart strings, what must it be like to see your child struck down and killed by a driver? THEN the driver not stop. No, not even stop to see what has happened, not to stop and call for an ambulance, its terrible. The setting of the scene by this author, I could see it in my minds eye, I could
"hear" and "see" the impact in my minds eye. I cringed each time that Mother replayed it in her memory. I got choked up when I could "see" her bending over the body of her little boy.

There is so much to this story.

We meet the DI as well whose marriage isn't all its cracked up to be, his wife at home struggling with two children and the eldest having problems. We see him tied up in his job. He doesn't neglect his family, where he is coming from, he is laying down a secure future for his family and "going up the ladder" within its confines. But his wife, she sees it differently.

Then we have Jennifer who is married to an abusive controlling son of a gun, he really is nasty with a capital N.
We are able to get inside his brain, inside his head as we hear his voice as he relates things to us.

I'm not going to give more away.

Within all of this, who is the person or persons responsible for killing that little boy?

I honestly, truthfully didn't see this coming, it WHAMMED me in the face right at the end of the book, my jaw dropped to the floor.

I have been chatting with my husband about this book and how he should read it.

Anyone who loves family life, reality, a bit of detective work, romance, mystery and psychological thrillers will LOVE this.

I now I have to follow with another book to match this, its very hard going onto another book when you have read a previous book with such an impact on you, don't you agree?


If I had one flaw....it was it dipped a bit 1/4 of the way through. But it surely made up for it as you go along.

I cannot wait to see what this author Clare Mackintosh comes up with next.


I would like to thank not only the author but Little, Brown Book Group UK for my copy and to say that being gifted a copy doesn't ever reflect on my review as a honest reviewer. I say how it makes me feel, and true in this instance

View all my reviews



A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn't have prevented it. Could she?

In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.

Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating...







No comments:

Post a Comment