Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, 29 March 2015

Fall of Knight by Steven Cross

Fall of KnightFall of Knight by Steven Cross
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have to say honestly, that I have been knocked to pillar to post with this one, confusion.com.

The reason?
I will add at the bottom of my review.

Steven Cross did an excellent job with the storyline though. Fall of Knight is someone struggling with bullying, along with his mental health problem. This is aimed at the youth, however, I am 56 and I thought it an excellent agenda to read. I sympathized and I ranted at the bullies. I really wanted to come to his protection, so that in itself was a good thing as it evoked emotions from me.

Now here is the bit I found hard, because I live day to day with someone with Bi Polar and have done for over 30 years, I am well aware of a lot of aspects surrounding that illness and some of the behaviour just was hard to swallow.

I realize that not everyone's country is like my own, we have a NHS here that we can at least rely on to keep the vulnerable medicated and looked after, however, as I say, not all resources are there in other countries, but I did think there was some safety net for those that cannot afford important vital managing medication.

So I did wonder if there was some 'means tested' avenue they could have gone down so that the medication could have still be administered?

The secound thing, most loose a perspective on life, day to day living, reality takes a back seat, I know this does happen in the plot, but, he still have some 'insight' so wasn't completely UP or DOWN.


Although the Monsters in his head took over, he was still able to relate to others around him on a level, which I found odd.


Like I say, being so closely involved with mental health, I just saw a few flaws in that area.

BUT the book itself was very addictive. Hence my 4 stars



For fans of John Green and Rainbow Rowell

A normal teenager Dean Knight is not.

With a mental illness that threatens to take over his sanity; a sister who’s deep in her own problems; and a wasted mother who couldn’t care less about it all, Dean is left to battle real life on his own. School, bullies and medications are his realities.

Then there are also the ghosts, the hallucinations and of course – the monster.

In the middle of it all, when everything seems to lose purpose, hope comes shining down on Dean’s miserable life. Her name is Ella and for one reason or another, she actually wants to be close to Dean. With Ella’s help, the lost teenage boy decides that he could finally win a battle or two – both in real life and in his writing.
But hope is a tricky thing. And the monster seems to know that.

When secrets buried down for almost a decade come out in the open, what do you do?







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment