Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, 15 July 2017

Review: Not Thomas

Not Thomas Not Thomas by Sara Gethin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



When I first started to read this, I was a little put off in the way it was written, its through young Thomas eyes, using his words, his child way of looking at things which at first I personally found annoying as he would repeat himself. As the book grew on me and I stepped back from this thinking how a young boy Thomas age would talk, I got well into this.

This is a story that will 'knock your socks off' its shocking, its emotional and it darn right moving.
I grew to love Thomas and just wanted to pick him up, take him home and give him a childhood. Poor little love.

We find some hidden background behind his Mother. Shes quite young and had had issues herself.
That becomes clearer as the story unfolds.
As sometimes follow they get attracted or become attractive to the male rogues of this world and she was no different. Shes a bad Mother in all round the clock details.

Thomas doesn't know any difference its his 'normal' life.
He gets teased for his manners, teased for his mannerisms and teased because he smells.

A neighbour and her daughter wait outside his house gate each morning to walk him to school.

His teacher Lowri secretly feeds him sandwiches using the ploy that her husband has made too many.

School holidays are counted down by biscuits. There's not an adult to tell him.
He practically sees to himself, maybe a packet of crisps is his supper. But the pink packets are saved for his Mother. I thought very sweet, but, so undeserving of this boys thoughtfulness.

Yes there are visitors seeking if everything is OK, but they can't be let in as Thomas is on his own and he can't open the door if his Mums not there, he shouldn't go out either so his 'black chair' becomes his hideaway.

He has three objects that he cares for. And one that is left behind at his Grans and Granddads home which he used to live in, that he no longer lives in for reasons that become clearer as time goes on.

That's enough about the story.

The writing is superb. I got halfway through this read before I really and truly was hooked. It was my mindset I had to alter and adjust to reading from a child's POV.

It was very moving and there are more secrets that come out towards the end.

Never read a book by this author before and I can honestly say I never heard of her [sorry] but I will definitely be following her for future reads.

My thanks to Cottage Tours

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment