Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Review: A Boy Made of Blocks

A Boy Made of Blocks A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Once I picked this book up, that was it.
I started early evening and didn't put it down until the early hours as the daylight was coming through my window, the early start to another day.

This is compulsive reading.

Autism. I only know a little due to my husbands brothers child who is now an adult. He is very mild on the autism scale and holds down a job, drives and has a rounded life. However, his social skills are awkward and looking into people's eyes to make eye contact in conversation I can tell is difficult for him.

The little boy in this story has more severe complex needs.

Jody, the mum copes well. If you can call it 'coping' as with most things in life you just have to buckle down and get on with it.

But the Dad isn't coping.
It's not just about his son, it's about another tragedy that happened in his past which he blames himself for.

Jody can't cope with him like this as well as their sons needs.

They become a couple that 'are on a break' so he moves in with his friend.

I have to say here, that there are times in this book that made me giggle. I could see how the Dad had such a great sense of humor with certain things he said or thought. And at times I laughed out loud.

Then bit by bit things begin to change.
His son has a game he plays on his XBox and although at first Dad is a bit reluctant with that idea, after all, shouldn't they be helping him to socialize?

Dad gets drawn into game, he can also communicate with his son online playing this game and interacting with his wonderful son.

Bit by bit the blocks are being built in more ways than one.

But will Jody and him ever find a way forward now that she's kissed someone.
She now has a part time job.
He was made redundant.

Has life moved on and such a gap grown the divide is to big?
Although he's closer to his son more than ever.

My thanks to Little brown book group for my copy via Net Galley





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment