Friday, 16 September 2016

Review: The Secret

The Secret The Secret by Kathryn Hughes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


My blog link:
http://sueandherbooks.blogspot.co.uk/

I haven't read this authors previous book, but, after reading this one I will surely be setting aside to read it.

I so thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was filled with all kinds of mystery, family secrets, characters that really stood out, written so well you can imagine them in your minds eye.

This takes me back to the books I first was interested in over 30 years ago now.
This one is based around the 1970's so you need to reflect back on what like was like back them.
 photo 2025bbf8ba1c494e39018042323fcb5a.jpg

All the way through in my head I kept repeating:

Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive. - Sir Walter Scott (Marmion, 1808)


and the other one:

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. -- Charles Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities, 1859)

There are many reasons I thought of these quotes.

The top one because of the many decisions that were made the affected life of others in the following generation.

The secound quote because of a huge big even happening from a lovely day out but ending in more than one tragedy.
 photo images_1.jpg

The women among the book were strong characters as they were back then.

Daisy who is a person in this book stands out so well as the "Motherly" type who I pictured in latter years with her tartan type slippers on, grey hair up in a bun doing her knitting.
 photo 064f40b118932370fba062062d9a82b2.jpg

In absolute astonishing read. I wasn't expecting that.

My thanks to Bookbridg and the PA for allowing me an advanced copy.

Blog tour to follow



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment