Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Review: Dark Water

Dark Water Dark Water by Sara Bailey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is a debut novel? You have got to be kidding me right!

Like a lot of regular reviewers we read a lot of books, so when we get a debut novel we realize that is may not yet reach a standard of someone with more experience.

I am getting more and more debut novels that 'knock my socks off', 'really blow me away' because the talent is so experienced and so polished.
This book was such and all and more of the above.


As a reviewer I tend to study the book covers. I take the book at an entirety [right or wrong] but, me personally, the whole package has to make me dribble with longing to devour it.
Sometimes the cover doesn't do that, but the blurb does.

This book made me salivate to read it from not only the attractive inquisitive cover but the blurb too.
The cover stands a woman, blackened out like a silhouette almost facing toward to ocean. The sky is not overcast its looking like not too bad a day.
But look at the waters movement.


Now the blurb is short and to the point. So how could that attract me? Because its short, because its to the point and leaves you wondering......what happened to Anastasia? I'm so nosy, I needed to know.

There seems to be some ties with the title, the cover and the blurb that taken as a whole pulls you into its web and deviousness.

This is so well written you really will not be able to put it down, and, if you really need to, then you will want to get back to reading it as soon as possible.

Helena has to return home because her Father is ill. He is now married to his second wife.
She has a part to play too I found out later.

No matter what she does, no matter where she goes, she is faced with the memories of Anastasia.


It spans back sometimes so we can see how close Helena and Anastasia are, doing all the girly girl stuff, getting into mischief that sort of thing, boys etc. They were more like close sisters.

Its so different before the teen years, play, play play. However, then boys come on the scene, that is when things can drive a wedge between the closest of friends.

I loved the tingling surprises that lurked between the pages unexpectedly that made the hairs on my neck come up. Not shocking, just....oh my, type of moments.


There was a part in the book that I don't think I am giving away spoilers its just one of the sections that I recall so well:

There was Helena's Father, her step mother and a "neighbor" who had moved into the home Anastasia used to live, they wanted Helena to join them for an evening there for a meal.
It must have been one of the hardest moments she had.

I read "shall we tell her?"

By then we still didn't know what had happened to Anastasia. I was pleading that when she came back from her walk they would tell her, alas, no.

I loved, loved loved this debut novel and if this is anything to go by, I cannot wait for another to read from her.

My thanks to her PA for the copy of my book.

Do not miss this one

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment