Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Review: Eulogy

Eulogy Eulogy by Ken Murray
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have had this paperback in my possession for a while now having had the author post it to me.

I am not so sure why I hadn't read it until now, maybe it was the cover, although it ties in with the story of the book it doesn't 'throw' itself at me.

This is primarily a story of a little boy growing up in a family where his parents really, really didn't get along, he had to suffer a lot of shouting, arguing and his Dad vanishing for days on end.

Can you imagine the impact that has on a child.

In the help to change, his parents get themselves involved in religion and attend church, finding God.
Now that is where I had a lot of problems with it. I have nothing against people's religion whose faith is important to them, but at times this just took on a spiritual reading book with biblical texts and such.

When William grows and has a girlfriend we see that although his age is what it is, his emotional state comes across a lot younger.

I began to realize that this is not a novel as such, more like a literally piece of work.

William Oakes is the one telling the story, of the past, of his family, his parents and his heritage. Mental health is played a lot within these pages.

I have to say this is quite a depressing book with not much happiness within it. I struggled finding my way upwards out of the pages once I had finished it. I felt quite down in the dumps.

This is a unique book, it has so many avenues leading off of it I just don't know where to start.

For me, the book needed more simplicity for us readers and a little more captions of joy.

3 stars from me for a debut novel.


My thanks to the author who posted me this in paperback

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment