Friday, 8 January 2016

Review: Playing with Fire

Playing with Fire Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This story is unlike any I have read before, sometimes believable and at times far fetched.
There are two timelines in this story that is weaved here. There is the historical past and the modern day, both relating to a piece of music.

The composer of the music is Lorenzo.

Its chilling, it can be eerie and quite scary. But then my poor brain couldn't compute this 'syndrome' of events that whenever her mother the musician was playing this piece of music it would make her do terrible thing. The child was only 3 years old.

It has romance, and it hold drama.

Add this eerie piece of composed music and a child that kills and does all sorts of things and you are spooked.

Julie is trying to play this music on her violin, but the violin gets a mind of its own.
I thought this was more inline to supernatural or devil worship etc than what it turned out to be.
Ok there are secrets in the past that come to the present, but I did find the while timeline thing more like a time slip, or a back to the future type of mode.


Sometimes though, this was a disturbing piece of reading, so I guess the author did do her job.

I struggled a little with belief and time zones, apart from this, I had to finish it to see what happened.

I wouldn't say this is the best of her work but certainly though provoking.

* I would like to thank Random House UK, Transworld Publishers via Net galley for my copy*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment