Friday, 8 January 2016

Review: All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux

All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux by Mark Matthews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I read book one in this series and was not prepared for how it blew me away. I didn't realize that the author Mark Matthews was going to write Lilly's story. I was so excited when he contacted me to see if I would like to read an advanced copy.

He told me this was a little gory maybe than the first. I was expecting more than I got because everything that was written inside these pages were written for a reason.

You can really tell that the author has knowledge of what he is writing about here and the characters become so real.
This entire book played out inside my head. I could see what was left of Lilly after the fire, I could see the orgre of a man who replaced her father with his head leaning to the side [for reasons you will need to read, as I don't want to give away spoilers or to hide them]

I never knew what Milk blood was until I read book 1
This book took me one step further as regards injecting drugs into your system. I was enthralled by it, horrible, but enthralled.

Although this book is fiction, there are people addicted to drugs, addicted to the life style and cannot free themselves from it.

We have one character in this book that could see that drugs is not the way to go.

Lilly's body is presented to us very early on.
Is she alive? Is she dead? Is she a spirit. You will need to find out. Its very intriguing.
Are there supernatural powers going on here?

One of the characters from book 1, her son was killed in a house fire.
She now lives across the road. Why?


Strange happenings are churning over where she used to live.
She herself dabbles in drugs, passes on drugs. In among the drug addicts 'cave'.
Its known at the 'hard drug house'

I was kept awake last night finishing this book off. I just had to read it.

I always say 'I don't do horror' I didn't find this horror as I would have expected. I found it quite emotional in some areas. Moving and tentative.

It was interesting at the back of the book where the author has written something very enlightening and I found very very interesting his thoughts, his experiences his hopes and his beliefs.

I would easily read another book by this author.

I do have one other book by him which I will be reading shortly.

I turned it down in the past when someone was advocating it because as I said, I don't 'do' horror. I didn't find that I had to hide behind the sofa this time!


*My thanks go to Mark Matthews for my early copy*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment