Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, 19 October 2015

Somebody I Used to Know by David J. Bell

Somebody I Used to KnowSomebody I Used to Know by David J. Bell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


TOP MARKS

I have been waiting to write my review.

I see lots of other readers who have taken time to review this awesome book has agreed how much they enjoyed it.

This book was up on Net Galley, when I first saw it, I wasn't drawn in by the cover, but by the blurb. I read what it was about and I thought...hmm I have read a few books lately where the blurb is better than the book.

This was not true in this case this book lived up to all my hopes and expectations.

I read a lot and many who know me, know I hate starting a new book.
Why?
Because I need to concentrate to get into some of them and then it picks up for me, but not so with this one.....wham bam...you are literally shoved into it.

Its not just your nose that gets stuck in this book, oh no, its your entire life until you finish reading it. I kid you not.

The way this author writes is just great IMHO
I love how he writes the dialogue, its just so 'life like' we all interrupt sometimes yeah? well, so does some in this book. Or as one sentence finishes the other starts up.....
You would have to read this to understand what I mean.

The narration was excellent, not too much detail that usually gets to me at time......
for example...he went over to pull the black blinds, he pulled the cord until they shut.

Well of course they shut!
No, this author does credit to its readers and knows we are not silly, we can read between the lines that if he goes to the bathroom we can guess what he is doing...we don't have to read it, we can GUESS..

I loved everything about the way this was written.

Now to the story.

Oh where do I start? I don't want to give anything away, I am so excited by this story because it has you fooled. You think you solved it like some Private detective only to find you are absolutely rubbish at it and the author is much cleverer than you are.

This book kept me up. Yes it kept me up to the early hours of the morning where I couldn't function good the next day, I blame the author.

I have read one other book by him [yet to read the others I have] and I found the same, he is so good at his craft.

I will be stalking this author because:

1.. I love his style of writing
2..he has a balance between narration and real life like dialogue.
3..he keeps me guessing
4..he keeps me awake and alert, the way he makes up these stories intrigue me, keep me guessing, and I can't help but RAVE about this.

Nick Hansen is a social worker. He had a first love, Melissa.
He has never got over her. He still loved her even though its twenty years on. But he has his faithful companion...he dog.

Where did Melissa go?
What happened to her?

I thought....oh yes, its going to be a straight forward case of........lets look for Melissa.

DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT

Its more much, much, much more than this. This is what I mean, his last book was like this, keeps you guessing. This book is like that, you think its a case of.....SOMEBODY I USED TO KNOW...oh lets find out if that was her, or what happened to her....
is it a love story?

Its love
Its lost love
Its past love
Its mystery
Its intrigue
Its complicated
It has missing puzzles that take you ages to find....so annoying...but sooooo worth it.

I think you can guess. I LOVED this boo.

I am looking forward to reading more from him

_Thank you to PENGUIN GROUP Berkley, NAL / Signet Romance, DAW via Net Galley for an early copy of this for me to read and review _





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment