Saturday, 12 September 2015

Burnt Paper Sky by Gilly Macmillan

Burnt Paper SkyBurnt Paper Sky by Gilly Macmillan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Just now and again you come across a book that just 'blows your'e socks off' and this is just the one for me. I have a few new debut authors this year that has surprised me SO much with their talent, its just Unbelievable that this is Gilly Macmillan's FIRST book.

My kindle says it will take around ten hours for me to read it. Well, the time just flew by.

I also need to say, it was fantastic to know all the places in this read as it was based in Bristol where I live.

This is an emotive read, its an enthralling read, it touches you in places in your heart that you just cannot step back from and refuse to actually feel not only for the Mother of the missing child, but also for her ex husband, and, I have to say, the DI and the Police all surrounding this story.

You can tell this author has really done her homework.

As each chapter passes you from Mom, to Dad, to DI and to manuscripts, phone calls, and interviews, its one hell of a journey.

I really cannot rave about this book enough, I am utterly astounded that this author has just this one single book out and that she is not a long standing author with heaps of books out there on the shelves. I hope I get to read many, many more of her books if they are anything like this.

Its not just the subject matter I am writing about, its her style, its her indepth ability to be able to put into words the characters feelings, suffering, emotions that reach out to you and make you actually feel them too.

Its not often a book brings a lump to my throat, but the ending certainly did. Not just in the final chapter but the Mother's words towards the end.

The feelings of her ex husband and what ripple effect it had on him.

This is like stories we read about in the newspaper, this is what we Twitter......Facebook....."Has anyone seen this boy".....

And we even get an insight to the media attention not only from the paparazzi, but also from someone like you or I making comments on blogs, or social media about it all.

I want to tell everyone, if you like a good story that you can really get lost into and have umpteen suspects running through your head but not know for sure who is can be......THIS IS IT.

I want to thank Little, Brown Book Group UK but also the author, because this book gave me endless hours of suspense and escapism.

A truly amazing debut novel. I just hope I keep up to date with her next book.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment