Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, 23 August 2015

Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey by Alexandra Bogdanovic

Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes AudreyTruth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey by Alexandra Bogdanovic
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I can certainly see why this book won awards, ** numerous awards and 2015 Beverly Hills Book Awards finalist in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Non-Fiction category. It was also a 2014 National Indie Excellence Awards finalist in the LGBT Non-Fiction category; and the 2013 New England Book Festival winner in the Gay Literature category.**


This is a book that I had to read in one sitting.

We see how Alex meet Adam, we read how they totally loved each other. Alex was so smitten with Adam, she was looking forward to marrying him, starting a family and living a lovely 'normal' family life together.

We can 'feel' the love coming from the pages as you read of her experiences and her feelings.

This is the story of Alex, this is the story of her marriage, this is the story of her husband's revelation, this is her life

I totally had a 'gobsmacked' moment with the way that she discovered her husband's "secret". How heart wrenching. I felt her world collapse around her.

I also felt for Adam in the way he has had to hide his gender dysphoria.

I did wonder that once the shock had settled how and why Alex took a different view on her relationship with Adam. Love cannot be switched on and off. I was expecting them to remain together, but is that more like reading a fairytale? Who knows, but there are marriages that did sustain the gender change and also keep the sexuality. After all, it was just the body that changed.

Then again, I had second thoughts, could I? I am not sure, we cannot judge something that we haven't been through ourselves can we.

Society is a horrid place, people do judge you, and I really think that won't go away. What needs to happen is for that person to be helped to be strong enough to cope.

This is a well written book, she really knows how to tell her story with feelings.

My downside was; there were far too much detail at the start of the book, I know the foundation had to be laid but it took almost half the book up and for the "inquisitive" reader with a window into someone else's life, we want to get to the core of it much quicker.

I think one sentence will stay with me from this book:

"How do you grieve for someone who isn't really dead?"

Grieving for a marriage that once was in your hands to have, grieving for a partner that looks like someone else, grieving for a family that won't materialize. Hopes and dreams shattered.

Media attention.

I really do hope that Alex finds a partner to love and be loved in the way she needs.

And Adam, I am glad he found peace.


**Thank you to Strategic Book Publishing Via Net galley for my copy to read and review, it was a pleasure **



Chastity Bono is now Chaz. Her decision to "become" a man made headlines around the world, but she is not alone. Transgender men and women frequently appear on television talk shows and reality programs to share their stories. By doing so, they inevitably get the attention they seek, but not necessarily the kind of attention they want. While some come forth in an effort to promote tolerance, acceptance and understanding in mainstream society, their decision to live as or in some cases have surgery to become - the opposite gender often sparks curiosity and more visceral reactions born out of ignorance. But this is the other side of the story. Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey is a tragedy, a comedy and a love story. It is my story. In vivid detail, I recall how I met, fell in love with and married the man of my dreams, only to find that he self-identified as and wanted to become a woman. Read what happened after I learned the truth. Originally from the New York City suburbs, Alexandra Bogdanovic is an award-winning reporter based in Connecticut. Her next book is based on her father's life as a staunch anti-Communist and political refugee in post-World War II Europe. Publisher's website: http: //sbpra.com/AlexandraBogdanovic 







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment