Monday, 10 August 2015

The Other Child by Lucy Atkins

The Other ChildThe Other Child by Lucy Atkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I really loved this book, I mean REALLY loved it.

I like Lucy Atkins as an author. I love the way she writes, the way she puts over things and her way of narration is superb. Its not distorted, it flows as you read. I can't explain it, but I will try:

He put his cup over there.

Instead of that written as an action it is interwoven with the dialogue and that is what makes it flow. Its the only way I can describe what I mean. Its just a personal pet hate of mine which really adds to the enjoyment of any book written by Lucy Atkins.

We have Gregg who is a paediatric heart surgeon. He takes his carer very seriously and seems to be always working. I sometimes wanted him to take more time out for his wife Tess, but, that wouldn't be right as it would loose some of the essence to the story.

Tess and Gregg meet under a fairly tale romance.
But it has grown to be solid.

Tess has a son by another man. He picks his son up on a regular basis and all works well.

Gregg has moved to US to work and Tess has to give up everything to move there with him. Of course, his work is important to both of them, but it doesn't stop her missing her best friend Nell.

Nell features quite a bit in the story as its her that Tess contacts when things go wrong.


More mysterious confusing things come to light.

She is pregnant with they're child, but Gregg really didn't want to be a Dad.

This has a connotation on the story too, you will be amazed at how this author has weaved such a tale.

Half way through I was thinking I knew it. I knew how the story would end, but you know what? nope I didn't I was so so so so wrong.


This is a mysteriously piece of woven jigsaw puzzle that when Tess had discovered the missing pieces even I had a job to piece them together, I was what is the hell well who was that then? how do they fit in

All my questions were answered in the end. I was so eager to read until the end to "get it all" that I was so sorry to put the book down.

I absolutely loved the ending. It doesn't end in the traditional way that a lot of books do lately.
I was so excited that this author did what she did at the end.

[NOT TELLING.....]



I would highly recommend this book to you, and I most definitely would buy this for a friend or two.


Thank you to Quercus Books for my copy to read and review and to the author of course








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment