Tuesday, 4 August 2015

The Lives Between Us by Theresa Rizzo

The Lives Between UsThe Lives Between Us by Theresa Rizzo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



WHAT an emotional charged read I have been glued to this book all afternoon since last night when I started it, but had to eventually go to sleep.

I couldn't wait to get my nose back into it today.

Skylar is a reporter. She comes across as someone who doesn't want to get involved with anyone, she is someone that I would call, a good person, a solid person but keeps one step removed .....from others.

Skylar has a niece. Skylar would do anything for her niece, she loves the bones of her. But her niece becomes tragically ill and needs a miracle to survive.

This is where the embryonic stem cells come in. This could help save her Niece's life.

IF ONLY

Her sister and her husband forms a decision on how to help their child survive. But its a tragic and dangerous adventure for her sister to be on......

The embryonic stem cells therapy was the only hope that could save her little niece, but Michigan Senator Edward Hastings is against it.

We find Skylar hitting against that decision in every avenue of her existence.

The loss of her niece has broken Skylars heart.

The decision her sister made is emotionally wrecking Skylar too.

Then in an unexpected turn she meets Mark Dutton. Unbeknown to her, his best friend is Edward Hastings. The very man she hates.

Mark knows who she is. But if he tells her too early his connection, the relationship may not survive.


My thoughts

I have read one other book by this author which I really loved, her writing skills are so well crafted and her characters in the books can be formed so well in your head you feel you have meet some new people in your life.

There is an ethic here in this book that whether you support the medical science of embryonic stem cell therapy or not, you have to face both sides in this book.
A little girl who could survive vs a science that you object to.

Skylar on occasion did get on my wick, she needed to deal with things, but then I thought, there is all this emotion in her, all this grief from the loss of her Niece. Maybe that was why she was head hunting the Senator too. She had a very good sniffer on her due to her being a reporter, she had a point of view on his objections to something she thought unfair. I feel some were tied up in her loss.

It leaves you reeling.

Superbly written.

I have my doubts about the cover though. When I first saw this book I thought it was a Christmas read until I read the blurb. I am wondering if others might by pass the book because of this.







View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue, Thank you for the thoughtful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete