Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, 25 July 2015

From Dust by Freya Barker

From DustFrom Dust by Freya Barker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I really did love this book from the author Freya Barker. I have read one other book by her and felt the same way, she has a lovely style of writing that is so fully explained and laid out, you can't help but feel you are part of the cast.

Syd is on the streets. She's not a child, she's a woman. How she got there will enfold as you read on. Its a tragic story that brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat whilst reading.

Syd sleeps in a dark shed on her own, just her and her rucksack and her memories for company.

She's very thin and lacks nourishment.

One time outside a public house she is looking for food.
I don't want to give any spoilers away, but one of the Managers inside has noticed Syd before and doesn't look like other homeless people. When she gets to speak to Syd she can see she is an intelligent woman too. Although, she doesn't say much and is quite guarded. Its been ages since she has had any kindness shown to her.
The lady invites her in for a 'decent' meal. Offers her a chat and a warm place to sit for a while.

I will move on from that and say that she is offered a job there. She later meets the owner named Gunner.

I have to say here and now, I loved Gunner.

When Gunner comes upon her in his establishment he sees a thin woman, pretty, and attractive but surprised at her thinness. He names her 'bird'

There is definitely an attraction between these two. I see how Syd can bring out the protectiveness from Gunner and his emotional side. Especially when it comes to his two children.

He has an ex wife too, you will meet her.

There is so much I can tell you about this story but I don't want to go any further due to giving too much away.

I would like to say this though, we can't escape our pasts, they will come back to find you......eventually.

We can't escape our emotions or tragedies, but we can 'deal' with them so they don't consume or lives.

This is one awesome read that I am so glad I chose to read.


* I would like to thank the author who offered this as part of a tour of this book, because I surely may have missed it*




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO incredibly much for this lovely review. You brought tears to my eyes. xox Freya B.

    ReplyDelete