Friday, 17 July 2015

Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

Black-Eyed SusansBlack-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The only reason this is missing a full star rating from me is because at the beginning I was confused [doesn't take much] because of going back and forth to the past/present. It wasn't as straight forward a layout for a lame person like me to adjust to quickly [blame it on middle age]

Black-Eyed Susans

Doesn't that title intrigue you? It did me. I had to look at what the book was about, then I was "oh I I NEED this book

At the start of me reading it, a fellow book friend I know on Goodreads [Steff] asked me how I was getting along with it.

I said that I was struggling.

I can honestly and openly say, I didn't struggle for long. This book GREW on me.


We have a killer, a mad man. Tessie is the only survivor. She has gone through a lot.

We hear from her [flashbacks] when she was just 17 years old, then we come up to the present day where she is 32 years old and a Mother herself.

The remains of the other bodies where Tessie was found, were buried under Black-Eyed Susan flowers. Hence the title.

But who are the other dead bones belonging to?

The killer is about to be executed, and what does that mean for Tessie?


Its a very creepy read. I also found Tessie a bit creepy too at times as she seemed to be hiding something or had something seriously wrong with her. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I don't think this is an easy read where you can just sit down and enjoy it, you need to use your brain to keep up. Once you get right into the center of the story it all makes sense.

I hadn't heard of Black-Eyes Susans, so I looked them up, you may like to see them

 photo download_1.jpg


I have similar ones in my garden and some do grow tall and bush out. I can see why the remains and Tessie were hidden from view.


Its well worth your time in getting this book. I would certainly advise you to sit down somewhere quiet before starting it, you need time to get 'into' it, once done, you won't put it down.


I did a complete 180 degree turn around with this book and my thoughts from beginning to end.

** Thank you to Penguin UK - Michael Joseph via Net Galley for my advanced copy **





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment