Saturday, 6 June 2015

The Secret Daughter: A beautiful novel of adoption, heartbreak and a mother's love

The Secret Daughter: A beautiful novel of adoption, heartbreak and a mother's loveThe Secret Daughter: A beautiful novel of adoption, heartbreak and a mother's love by Kelly Rimmer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I was eager to read this book as I have heard a lot about it so, when I was granted a copy from Bookouture via Net Galley in exchange for my honest review, of course, I jumped right in.

Kelly Rimmer the author doesn't mess about, she tells it like it is, and draws you without you noticing it. I sat and finished this book today, I had only started it late last night, but I just had to pick it up and carry on. I did text my book buddy to say 'you gotta read this', she looked, and she has it to read on her list. I am so glad of that because I just know she will love it.

What must it be like to be in your 30's. Married. Expecting a child of your own and then being told by your parents that you had been adopted. This is what happened to Sabina.

Can you imagine the impact?

Ted her husband is stood right beside her, he has her back, he has her emotions, he is a great help to you, solid and factual. But Sabina cannot come to terms with this, OF COURSE NOT, its a SHOCK to the must amazing degree. Her life [as she knew it] was now in pieces.

Its not easy to think "well, these are still my parents, they brought me up", its the big heap of questions that go around in your head and one of the big ones is: Who is my Mother?

She finds her parents very cagey.

Now this is where it got so addictive for me I was solidly glued to my Kindle.

Just what were the parents hiding?
Just what more shocks were in store for Sabrina.

Then I had a sudden thought......she is pregnant herself, what if the shock makes her loose her unborn child?

I did take note of when Ted was pointing out things about her family. I related to that as my husbands Father was controlling but my husband couldn't see this until many years later into our married life. I felt for Ted as its hard to point out something you see without causes offence but its for a persons own good.

There is an awful lot packed in this book.

I love how there are chapters that appertain to the biological Mother writing to her lover. How the book goes back, you can FEEL that poor girls anguish.

I felt quite choked up at times.

Sabina's emotions came out from the pages and completely smacked me between the eyes, I felt it, it was real.

As I got more into the book, I really wondered how parents could do this to someone. Keep this huge secret and not tell, how can someone do this, its messing with someone else's choices. THEN I got more information and it sort of altered the way I was thinking.


ABSOLUTELY A 5 STAR I would definitely give this more if I could.

*Heart renderingly real.*




As I saw my new-born baby’s face for the first time I tried desperately to capture her face in my mind—to stamp it onto my eyelids. As she was taken from me I knew I might never see my daughter again. 

37 years later… 
‘You were adopted’. Three short words and Sabina’s life fractures. There would forever be a Before those words, and an After

Pregnant with her own child, Sabina can’t understand how a mother could abandon her daughter, or why her parents have kept the past a secret. 

Determined to find the woman who gave her away, what she discovers will change everything, not just for Sabina, but for the women who have loved her all these years. 





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment