Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, 18 June 2015

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton

The Quality of SilenceThe Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I love snow, I love the cold weather I absolutely do. I am a winter baby, so this was lovely and chilling to read, I could imagine myself trekking through the snow, the cold the wet and the wind, gorgeous. Love it.

The atmospheric conditions and imagination in this read was enthralling and enticing to me.

I have read Rosamund Lupton's book before and I know she can deliver a pretty good story that I will mostly enjoy and this one was the same.

Fragile marriages.

There they are, Yasmin and her daughter Ruby arriving at Alaska to meet her husband who has been on an assignment there. They are quietly ushered away to be told he was killed in a fire. Matt is dead. Yasmins husband. Ruby's Father.

How awful.

Ruby is deaf.

I have a vested interest in this as I used to be a translator for the deaf so worked closely with them and how and by what means their strength and agility to overcome obstacles. Unless you have been deaf or know someone who is and worked closely with them or live with them, you cannot imagine the hardships that hearing loss can toss at you.

But here we see Ruby, strong ruby coming through and her Mother very resilient in helping and achieving Ruby to manage.

So did the title Quality of Silence come about by.....Is there something suspicious about Matts death?
or could it be....

Ruby is deaf, could it be related to that?

or could it be...

Alaska the cold, the bitter ices climate where even the icicles you cannot hear dripping.

I thought and thought about this.

The story is told in a 'quiet' kind of way. You seem to trek along with Yasmin and Ruby, silently following in their footsteps, at times its quite eerie.


I also found interesting that discovering Ruby was deaf, how each parent had their own ideas on how to manage her disability, and how to help her cope in a hearing world.

At times there were reflections on the relationship between husband and wife, Daddy and daughter, Mummy and Daughter. The time together melted them into one whole.

We meet ice truckers. Wow, what respect I have for them, we just don't think how they have to respect and be aware of their surroundings.

Yes its about finding Matt. Is he still out there like she believes?

But its also about relationships.
Its about courage.
Its about not taking things and each other for granted.

Its a whole heap of things.

Its truly a beautiful piece of work, then the crunch [excuse the pun'] comes more towards the end.

Its not an earth shattering read, the way it is written more than makes up for that.

I liked this a lot


Thank you to Little, Brown Book Group UK for my copy to read and review via Net Galley


On 24th November Yasmin and her deaf daughter Ruby arrived in Alaska.

Within hours they were driving alone across a frozen wilderness

Where nothing grows

Where no one lives

Where tears freeze 

And night will last for another 54 days.

They are looking for Ruby's father.

Travelling deeper into a silent land.

They still cannot find him.

And someone is watching them in the dark.

RELEASE JULY 2ND









View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment