Thursday, 11 June 2015

Pieces by Maria Kostaki

PiecesPieces by Maria Kostaki
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This was a love hate relationship with this book. So much so, I had to finish it, but it was one of those, grrr and then OH moments where you need to continue, anyone know what I mean?

What must it be like to be abandoned by your Mom? I can't imagine what they would have done to me. She is now living with her Grandparents.

At the start of the book, it shows you what living with an alcoholic mother is like. So going to live with her Grandparents I thought would work much better for Sasha.

Then her Mother returns wanting Sasha back.

I liked the concept of the story and it was floating along quite nicely then it would change direction and go back in time suddenly which really does throw you off course. I think that bit needs to be looked at again to make it more smooth.

That was my GRRRR moment each time it did that.

There is domestic violence in this book.
Just thought I would mention that to anyone sensitive to this subject matter.

PIECES is the title of this book. Well, all I can say is that it is in pieces, you need to solve the jigsaw puzzles between chapters, it really is jarring and quite unsettling a read, not a comfortable one.

And here lies my honest opinion.

But the concept of the story is good.


Thank you to She Writes Press via Net Galley for my read to review copy



When her mother, Anna, abandons her to move abroad with her new husband, Sasha is passed around her three grandparents in Cold War-era Moscow, attending first grade with a Lenin star pinned to her breast. Five years later, Anna and her husband reappear and whisk Sasha off to a better life in Athens, Greece. But they are not the gallant rescuers they first appear to be, and Sasha soon finds herself caught between a violent stepfather and a psychologically abusive mother. In her struggle to survive in her new world, Sasha turns to a world of invisible friends even as she continues to long for something real. At turns haunting and uplifting, Pieces is the story of one girl s survival and self-discovery and her continual search for love in a world where she has been given none.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment