Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

I Do Not Sleep by Judy Finnigan

I Do Not SleepI Do Not Sleep by Judy Finnigan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I would like to thank Little, Brown Book Group UK for my copy of I Do Not Sleep by Judy Finnigan.


As soon as I finished the last page I had to text my book buddy I had finished it with a huge lump in my throat, it brought tears to my eyes and I was really moved by this story.

After reading Judy's first book Eloise, which I loved, I knew from this she had hidden talents from her TV work. A great story teller, however, I wondered if her second book would live up to the 'high' hopes I had for her.

Well let me tell you it did, more than did in fact.

I was blown away by the mystical atmospheric awesomeness that this was written in at times.

The fact that its based around Cornwall which I remember as one of our holidaying places when I was younger added to the lure.

Can you imagine this.

You have two sons.
One son is reported missing and after a time, said to be dead. But his body is never found. It happened in a place in Cornwall where the family liked to stay for a break/vacation. What would it be like revisiting that place years later?

Could you accept your son dead? Would you wonder where his body lays?

Hard to accept I would imagine, and I have just followed such a Mother on her journey. I just followed a Mother and the Father. I just followed the Mother, Father and the grown son who now is a Father of his own. The havoc it can cause.

Everyone Grieves, "deals with it" "moves on" at their own pace.

Father was moving on [so he thought] son was moving on, he had a wife and child of his own. But Mom, she couldn't move on.

We see the effects on the relationships.

We also "hear" her son's voice calling out to be saved.
What does it all mean.


I was so impressed and moved by this story because it was so heart rending, and so emotionally written that you couldn't help getting involved.

I have to say, this book threw me, I enjoyed it much much more than I thought I would.


I just can't wait to see what Judy comes up with next.




Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there. I do not sleep.


There is nothing more powerful than a mother's love
.


Five years ago, Molly Gabriel lost her twenty-year-old son, Joey, to a terrible sailing accident. His empty boat was washed ashore on the rocks - but his body was never found.


Now, Molly has returned to the sands of Cornwall haunted by his disappearance, unable to accept he is gone. Joey was an experienced sailor and died on a calm sea - things just don't add up and Molly cannot let it go. Desperate for answers, she turns to Joey's best friend, Ben, to go back to what really happened that day...


Intensely emotional and relentlessly suspenseful, I Do Not Sleep is the latest bestseller from broadcaster, journalist and Book Club champion, Judy Finnigan.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment