Thursday, 18 June 2015

Chance by Peter Dudgeon

ChanceChance by Peter Dudgeon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What an absolutely amazing new novel from an amazing new up and coming author.

My coveted 5 stars has come out of the woodwork again. I am very reserved with my star ratings for different reasons.

1. There are a LOT of authors trying to make it
2. So their book has to stand out among a crowd
3. It has to be something different not 'following the crowd'
4. It brings out emotions in me, ie. Gasping, biting my nails, crying, angst.....for example


THIS BOOK HAD ALL OF THAT.

I read over 400 books a year on average and some can blur into another if they are not different and unique.

Peter Dudgeon [in my humble opinion as a reader] has smashed it

Just opening the book and starting to read it, you get drawn in right away. [For those that follow my reviews or know me, this is something I absolutely love]. As I settled down to read further in, I couldn't help notice the quality of the writing, the expertise that burst from its pages when relaying this story. When characters were introduced they immediately became part of the scenes.

The utter suspense within the confines of the pages really kept your brain alert, I think I was as alert as someone preying on me at times, who is it, where is he? My good, is it my turn now?

Cassie is a 9 year old girl who 'sees things' she is so matter of fact about it. When she has 'seizures' its a time when she 'sees things happen before they happen'. But who is going to listen to a young child, children have the most imaginative of imaginations anyway, right?

When her Mother was attacked, well, she had to listen. She had to listen to her daughter, because what she had 'saw' came true.

By the time I got to 40% of the book I just didn't want to do anything else but finish this read, I was lapping this up like a puppy at a water dish.

However, this week has been full of appointments, things happening and it seemed like everything got in the way of my reading, for the first time in ages I was frustrated. Why? Because this wasn't just 'any' book I was reading, this was a BRILLIANTpiece of craftsmanship.

Its well thought out.
You can tell the author has thought everything through from beginning to end. It starts excellently and it builds up to a crescendo without dropping you once, not once


Although I was unable to read from start to finish in one sitting, I found myself actually thinking about this book, talking about this book to book buddies. I loved the comments of several guys following my review waiting to see if I liked it.

Well, I didn't "like" it, I LOVED it.

When one of my book buddies said...."have you finished it yet? I have just finished it and its marvelous, I so enjoyed it, its ended in a cliffhanger" I was "what! what!"

It does end in a sort of 'cliffhanger' because you wonder what happens to certain people after all of this. You wonder about Cassie and how she would be when older. You wonder how some of the characters 'get over' their ordeals. You also wonder about some other stuff too, but I just don't want my review giving anything away.

I usually talk a bit about the book, but because of the reviews here and the blurb, I am giving hardly NOTHING away, I was just totally blown away by this book.

YOU should read it. And if anyone else likes a good book, something to get your "teeth" into that is written well, plus you want to discover a new author, ONE CLICK IT. I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed this book yet.

I understand the author is bringing out a follow up to this one in the Autumn/Fall. I really personally cannot wait, I'd read it in draft if I was allowed. I'm used to beta reading so that wouldn't bother me.

This is an up and coming author who needs a break in the crowd of potential authors out there, this guy is a shinning light to a brilliant suspense, a brilliant hooking storyline. You can tell the difference between an author and a writer, this author gives his all.

I'm gonna be stalking him for his books.



NB....Yes I got this book offered to me from the author to read, but read any of my reviews, if I have purchased a book, if I lent a book from the library, if a publishing house sends me a book, if my regular authors who I read for send me arcs, drafts, beta, and I get them for free, I STILL give my open and honest opinion on what I personally have taken from a book. Nothing sways me from being honest with my thoughts and opinions, my reviews would be worthless if I wasn't true.





A missing convict, a young woman assaulted and killed, an old man murdered in his home. All in different parts of London. With eight million inhabitants, bad things happen to good people all the time.

Only nine-year-old Cassie Janus knows there’s a connection, because she is the killer … in her nightmares at least.

Cassie has the rare ability to unearth the darkest emotions of others. She sees a past they would rather keep hidden and a future too horrific to comprehend.

Perhaps the killer can be stopped. If only she can make someone - her mother, her friend, her teacher - believe. Her words are dismissed, her sanity questioned. She knows they’ll believe her in the end … but by then, they’ll be facing death.

Can she act to save them, or will their fate be left to chance?










View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment