Monday, 18 May 2015

PRE ORDER YOURS NOW! The Bones of You by Debbie Howells

The Bones of YouThe Bones of You by Debbie Howells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Yes, oh yes, two days in a row now I have had to dish out my 5 stars that I keep for something that is outstanding, that keeps my attention, that is so enthralling I literally eat, sleep and breathe the book and cannot wait to pick it up again to finish it. Yep! This is such a book.


Rosie is 18 years old, she has gone missing. Everyone has high hopes that she is going to be found soon, found and very much alive.
As time goes on though, time is running out for such hope.


**What intrigued me were the chapters where Rosie has a voice, she is missing, she may be dead, she may be in need help somewhere, who knows yet......
but we hear her voice in chapters that the author has written for us to get an insight to not only her life but those around her, including her parents and her Mom **

But then Rosie's body is found, she is in some undergrowth in the woods, the same woods that Kate goes to ride her horse, the very same horse, the very same adult friend that Rosie loved going to and helping out with the horses.

Kate 'feels' something and the horse DEFINITELY knows 'something'. After all, horses do have a sixth sense.

Rosie's Mother Joanne is a lost soul, someone who has money, and to all intense and purposes seems quite well to do. Everything in their world from the outside looks good, marriage solid, good husband, good job, and her husband is a 'good man' someone who helps others less fortunate.......

But all is not what it seems.

Kate befriends Joanne, both of them become quite close.

The budding friendship between them leaves some questions in Kate's mind at times, and as a reader, there were plenty of thoughts pounding around me head I can tell you!

The Father is a bit of a NASTY PASTY, he is controlling, he is mean, he is a BEAST, he likes to control his children AND his wife both daily and in the bedroom.

He is also a journalist.....I thought I would throw that one in there!!!

The dual narratives that are within these chapters are fascinating, each time it got to Rosie's chapter to reveal more I was OMG, and really was "into" those chapters.

Kate is married, she seems to have such a loving husband.

Kate starts getting notes via her letterbox, each time she takes them to the Police station, no one knows who is posting these snip bits of sentences.

WHO MURDERED ROSIE?



The title of this book really ties in with the story.

I really love psychological thrillers, ones that are so well thought out, so well written. I love Debbie Howells way of writing, I love how her mind worked in this story, god knows how she weaved this one together, but I need to read more from her, most definitely I do.

I have to thank Kensington Books via Net Galley for my advanced copy of this well written, fascinating, unputdownable......read.


Would I recommend it? YES most 120% sure
Would I buy this for a friend? Oh yes indeed.


A stunning, wonderfully assured psychological thriller that evokes Gillian Flynn and Alice Sebold, The Bones of You revolves around a young girl’s murder and one woman’s obsession with uncovering the secrets in an idyllic English village.

I have a gardener’s inherent belief in the natural order of things. Soft‑petalled flowers that go to seed. The resolute passage of the seasons. Swallows that fly thousands of miles to follow the eternal summer.

Children who don’t die before their parents.


When Kate receives a phone call with news that Rosie Anderson is missing, she’s stunned and disturbed. Rosie is eighteen, the same age as Kate’s daughter, and a beautiful, quiet, and kind young woman. Though the locals are optimistic—girls like Rosie don’t get into real trouble—Kate’s sense of foreboding is confirmed when Rosie is found fatally beaten and stabbed.

Who would kill the perfect daughter, from the perfect family? Yet the more Kate entwines herself with the Andersons—graceful mother Jo, renowned journalist father Neal, watchful younger sister Delphine—the more she is convinced that not everything is as it seems. Anonymous notes arrive, urging Kate to unravel the tangled threads of Rosie’s life and death, though she has no idea where they will lead.

Weaving flashbacks from Rosie’s perspective into a tautly plotted narrative, The Bones of You is a gripping, haunting novel of sacrifices and lies, desperation and love.
 







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment