Monday, 6 April 2015

The Girl Who Went Missing by Ace Varkey

The Girl Who Went MissingThe Girl Who Went Missing by Ace Varkey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This debut mystery/suspense is set in India, most mentioned is Mumbai.

Having never been there it was a nice journey to experience in this book. The author feeds in part of Mumbai through the book.

Of course, like any country there are different laws and statutes to abide by and me not knowing this, I sometimes lost my way. But I was soon taken down the correct route again by the author.

The book starts off VERY well, its dramatic and completely holds your attention.
There is a lot of narration in this book and not so much dialogue, the reason I mention this is because my preference is for less narration and more dialogue. If too much description is laid out I tend to wander in my mind, but this is ME and no reflection on the author.

I am steering away from the story as I don't want to give anything away.

I liked that the DI had a role to play that was intense due to his previous entanglement with a missing person, this explained why he acted as he did. Excellent and without let up.

What I found was good, is that most Detective novels are written from the Police POV and this is written from the characters POV which I did pick up on, loved that way of writing this.


Its an excellent first book, I give it 3.05 for her first book.

1. It started off keeping my attention

2. It wandered off in so much description and not enough dialogue that I found myself wandering.

3. It lacked the continuation of holding my attention throughout until towards the end picking up for the next book that follows this.

4. Its written/format/editing is superb. [Needs a cover though to attract]


I know I am seeming harsh, but, I am honest.

I think more intense, red herrings, edge of your seat, biting your nails needs to be added.

I read such a lot, that I would say, based in India is a great move, but some things about India Mumbai got lost on me with the scenic on the way.



When June Warner arrives in India to visit her sister Thalia, a trip to take her mind off her jilted engagement, she is greeted by the bright hot chaos of Mumbai but not her sister. She goes to the YMCA where Thalia is staying, only to find that she is not there.

Convinced that Thalia’s no-show is a sign that she is in danger, June begins a desperate search for her younger sister.

Police Commissioner Oscar D'Costa, scarred by the tragedies of his past, swears he will never again ignore his gut instinct when it comes to a missing girl. And with more and more dead foreign women being found in his precinct, he becomes convinced a conspiracy is at play.

Through the two worlds of American naiveté and Indian chaos, they must find the girl who went missing.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment