Wednesday, 1 April 2015

The Disappeared by Roger Scruton

The DisappearedThe Disappeared by Roger Scruton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



If you are looking for a cosy read, this is not it.
If you are looking for a dark read on the wrong side of humanity, this is it.

If you are looking for something to curl up with, this is not it.
If you are looking for something that you hate reading but compelled to carry on, this is for you.


I make no bones at the fact its an easy straight forward book to read. It really stretches you emotionally.

It takes a slooow while [and yes I did drag out the slooow] while to piece each character and it takes a slooow while to see how they are interwoven. You NEED to concentrate when you first start this book for the first [quite a few] chapters.

The relationship between student and teacher was quite complex and got me REALLY thinking.

This book is piled with layers, as you take one off, there is another, as you take off that one, there appears another, you do wonder when you will get to peel off the final one.

I was thrown in the first couple of chapters, I really thought I had either missed pages or opened a completely new book, it was quite bizarre.

I am not saying I didn't like this book, because I did, but it wasn't an easy book to follow, as a reader you really needed to stay with it. At times it was like finding my way out of a maze only to be thrown back to where I started.

Yep, I know this is a funny review, I can hear you asking:

Sue, did you like it?
Yes

Sue did you not like anything about it?
Yes plenty

But would you recommend it?
Yes, but with caution to whom

Is it good?
Yes

Is there some awful bits?
No

Is it slow?
Yes but picked up towards the end

So Sue, would you say it was good or bad?

I DUNNO!!!

Yes it was good, no it was slow, yet the finale was good.

With that, I'll leave it to you :)


I would like to thank Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) via Net Galley for my copy



The Disappeared is a story of our times, of kidnap and rescue, of abuse and healing. It is the story of Stephen, a teacher whose love for the pupil who shares his dreams brings him face to face with ruin; of Sharon, the child of a feckless stepmother, and her criminal abusers; of Laura, the investigative high-flyer, now faced with rape and sexual slavery; of Justin, environmentalist and Heavy Metal fan, whose obsession with Muhibbah, rescued from forced marriage, spells disaster for them both. 

It is the story of a police force fearful of charges of racism, and a social worker, Iona, expected to make a viable community from fragments that will not join.
With dizzying speed The Disappeared uncovers the chaotic underworld of a Yorkshire city, its characters eventually stumbling across one another in a single catastrophe. A victim may bring redemption: but who will it be?







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment