Monday, 20 April 2015

Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum

HausfrauHausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have read some reviews on this AFTER I read this personally for myself.

I'm a mixed bag of confusion here. I have given it 4 stars as it well deserves this.

1] For the writing
2] For the impact


Anna seems to have it all. Happy family, an OK husband. Maybe its me, maybe its my age, but you can't have everything in a husband all wrapped up in a neat little bundle no more than they can have a nice sweet little loyal wife, life isn't that way.
Every marriage, every partnership/relationship has its faults.


Anna goes from one bloke who she had a sexual encounter with [forget his name as it was so brief!] to another affair.

Anna is clearly

a] Not happy
b] Looking for love
c] Confused
d] Loving the chase and attention
e] Mentally lacking in something.


There is a LOT in this story and not all is what it seems. Reading between the lines gives an even deeper meaning to this book and the relationships going on with Anna.

Anna seems to have bitten off more than she could chew, ending with a tragedy that no one saw coming.

Its a very interesting read, and although I am still confused about "who is the real Anna can you please stand up", I still weirdly liked it.


Thank you to Random House Publishing Group - Random House for my copy to read and review




Anna Benz, an American in her late thirties, lives with her Swiss husband Bruno and their three young children in a postcard-perfect suburb of Z├╝rich. Though she leads a comfortable, well-appointed life, Anna is falling apart inside. Adrift and increasingly unable to connect with the emotionally unavailable Bruno or even with her own thoughts and feelings, Anna tries to rouse herself with new experiences: German language classes, Jungian analysis, and a series of sexual affairs she enters into with an ease that surprises even her. Tensions escalate, and her lies start to spin out of control. Having crossed a moral threshold, Anna will discover where a woman goes when there’s no going back.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment