Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, 1 March 2015

Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott

Sleep TightSleep Tight by Rachel Abbott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



What a fantastic way for me to celebrate the beginning of March the 1st today with an awesome Thriller!!!

I have had this book for a while on my Kindle and didn't get around to reading it until book 2 was released, which is NOW, so go purchase it. Read this one FIRST though. The author said that book 2 ties up some loose ends.
Book 2 can be purchased on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stranger-Chil...


SLEEP TIGHT

This is where I am introduced to Olivia Brookes.

She's had some terrible things happen to her wherein she had to get the Police involved twice.
One was when the Father of her child went missing. Vanished. Unsolved.

Then suddenly her parents are found dead in their cottage. Unsolved.

She later marries Robert and goes onto have two other children.

There is so much mystery, intense tension in this story I don't know where to begin. I think, all I can say it, from the first chapter I was hooked.

This author has a great way with words.

I notice some reviewers saying she repeats things in the book, yes, but I found when she repeated it in subsequent chapters later on it was 'filled' out more, its like someone telling you the gist of a story, then later expanding it. The expansion takes place because we have learnt more of the story as the chapters unfold, hence, we need to know more, so a recap with extensions worked just great I thought.

The book doesn't jump, its a book where some chapters pick up where the detectives are and we read what is going on there. Another chapter may jump back to Olivia and her children, and then....later, her husband Robert.

We need this to piece together all avenues of this story, I felt, for me at least, it was piecing things together, however, all is not what you think, this book is a ride and a half. You may feel you know who is at fault, but there is much, much, MUCH more to this. They always say, there are two sides to every coin, and there is indeed, two sides to every story.

I must say, the last chapter got me!

In my household, if I have a book that I can't put down, and long to pick it up again as soon as possible, as life does get in the way of our pleasures right? LOL I was chatting to my husband about it. I was telling him all the things that happened so far, questioning what he felt. He actually sat by me, we were chatting things through, over and over, "No no" says he "I think you are going down the wrong path with this"
"So you what about the bit.........?" I say
"hmm" says him.

Then my older daughter and son had to listen too. We felt this would make an awesome movie. We for one would like to watch it.

Its a tense authentic thriller. Can you tell I loved it!!!

I went straight into book 2. So that review will be pending soon.

My full review will be on my blog along with some promotional bits and pieces, be sure to check this book out, read the reviews, weight it all up. I can tell you now, its worth your ONE CLICK FINGER.


This review are my own thoughts and feelings as this is how I write my reviews. Authors know I won't like EVERYTHING they write, and I will say if something didn't work for me, in this instance, I cannot wait to move onto book 2


I would like to thank Rachel Abbott for hours of pleasure this book brought me 







Prologue

The girl was smiling as she left the noisy, packed pub, and shouts of laughter were ringing in her
ears as she wrestled the heavy door open, letting in an icy blast of cold air. She turned and shouted,
‘Night!’ to anybody who might be looking her way and a few arms were raised in a farewell salute,
but most were otherwise occupied with pint glasses, or were gesticulating wildly to emphasise
some part of the latest funny story being shared with anybody who was prepared to listen.
The door slammed shut behind her, cutting out the warm yellow light and the happy sounds of
young people enjoying themselves. The dark night settled around her and the sudden silence hit
her like a physical blow. For a moment she stood still.
Shivering in the early winter chill, she wrapped her scarf tighter round her neck and folded her
arms, hugging herself to keep warm. She really was going to have to find a coat that she liked
enough to wear on a night out. She smiled at her own vanity, and reminded herself that it was only
a fifteen-minute walk back to their flat, so if she walked quickly she would soon warm up.
The silence was momentarily shattered as the door to the pub swung open again, the light from
inside spilling its amber glow across the wet pavements. Above a burst of loud music coming from
the warm bar she thought she heard somebody shout her name, but the door swung closed with a
bang, and all was silent again.
The few folk who were out on the streets of this part of Manchester were hurrying along,
disappearing down side roads that led to their homes. The miserable weather and the early cold
bite appeared to have kept people indoors tonight, and who could blame them?
A few yards ahead of her a couple stopped to kiss, the girl wrapping her arms round the boy’s
neck, standing on tiptoe to press the whole length of her body against his, and the night felt
warmer for it. She smiled again as she looked at them, thinking how wonderful it felt to be in love.
She and her boyfriend had only recently moved in together, and she had never been so happy.
She reached the junction with the main road, and waited at the crossing. There wasn’t much
traffic, but being one of the main roads into and out of Manchester, it was never completely quiet.
She hurried across when the road was clear and made her way to the quieter streets on the other
side, away from the halls of residence and the modern housing. She had been thrilled when they
had found a flat in an old Victorian house – the whole of the ground floor was theirs and, although
it was still a bit scruffy, they were working on it. Best of all, it was on a lovely peaceful tree-lined
road, which gave each house a sense of privacy.
She turned into the first road. The small park on her right was usually full of children playing,
but at this time of the night it was deserted, the only movement coming from a single swing that
was swaying gently, silently.
Her flat shoes made little sound on the pavement, and she had a strange feeling of being cut off
from the rest of the world. She glanced towards the windows of the houses as she passed, but most
were protected from view by high hedges and those she could see were black, with just the lifeless






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment