Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, 16 March 2015

Skeletal by Katherine Hayton

SkeletalSkeletal by Katherine Hayton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



When I requested to read this book on Net Galley I didn't look at the authors name, only the blurb. When I was halfway through I looked at the name of the author realizing that I had read one of her books before and liked it. I then knew why my eyes took me to this one, sixth sense I think.

I just knew this was going to be good, but I didn't realize how dam good!

Daina Harrow is the main person in this story, she is young, she is bullied in life, bullied at school. Her Mother is nice to her when sober!! But she's never been a Mom to cook, clean and make sure her child is clothed, feed and watered. All her Mom wants to do is get drunk, men and drunken parties.

That life is the 'norm' for Daina, after all, she knows nothing else.

She does get befriended by some girls, but even that turns out a twist in the huge plot.

Yes there is violence in this story, but not enough to close your eyes and say "oh, that's graphic" its only disturbing because you feel for Daina.

Daina has some superb loyalty and morals that got her into trouble by doing the 'right' thing which came and literally bit her in the ass.

This has a scene of rape, its not blown out of proportion or glorified in any way, its a well thought out written scene. The plot takes over more than what has just happened to her [not that its unimportant, but it IS relevant to the story]

I was literally flicking through the pages of my kindle resenting any time I had to put it down to go cook supper for us all !! still glued to my Kindle whenever possible, I kid you not!

The ending was oh so heart breaking.


The setting for this book is Daina overlooking a Court case about her death, its way unique and unusual reading, fab, absolutely fab I thought. Its written as normal, but comes back to when someone is taking the stand and picks up the real story then through its pages. I LOVED it, can't you tell I loved it LOL

The ending, pay attention to the ending, we know from the blurb that the author says Daina died. Just read and pay attention to the last few chapters, its pulls it together so beautifully but oh so tragic.

I can't say enough, give this book a try. Its up to you if you like it as much as I did, but its well worth a read.

I love a good thriller. I love new authors that can write well, tell a story well, never loose their focus and reads just brilliantly oh and......takes me away from daily chores!!!

I would like to thank Katherine Hayton via Net Galley for my copy

I have recommended this to so many of my fellow book friends they will think I'm on commission!!



Three months before she died Daina Harrow faced a bully at school.
Six weeks before she died Daina Harrow suffered an assault in the park.
One week before she died Daina Harrow stole a secret people had killed to hide. 

That was ten years ago. Ten long years. 

Now, her bones have been found on a building site. A coroner's inquest has been reopened. A parade of witnesses is about to start.
And Daina's here. Watching every day as her mother cries in the courtroom. Watching every day as her friends, and her enemies, and her killers lie about her on the stand.
Watching, and making sure that no matter what the coroner hears, you know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. 

So help you God. 
Warning: this book contains some bad language, and scenes of sexual assault. Recommended for ages 17+ only.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment