Thursday, 19 March 2015

Little Black Lies by Sandra Block

Little Black LiesLittle Black Lies by Sandra Block
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This is the first book I have read by this author and wouldn't have known about this but for Net Galley. I love a good thriller sometimes and this one was based around a psychiatric hospital, along with the differing patients and their mental health along with the varied psychiatric staff.

Dr. Zoe Goldman is one of the main trainee residence, if not 'the' main one on the staff there that we come to meet and get to know, she has many things in her past that she wants to discover and uncover. It was quite fascinating getting to know her inside and out. She had a few issues to work through. BUT these issues were so dragged out throughout the pages I felt like the pages of the book were growing faster than I could read them!!!

Zoe was dedicated to her job, to her patients.

She also had a love, his name was Luc, a frenchman, however, one day over Skype he told her he had fallen in love with someone else. That was a considerable blow to her.
But instead of that being the end to the relationship, the author decided to draw it out some more, with nothing of use for us readers to get ourselves excited about, plain and simple, he was a skunk. A bad smell. He should have been dumped not only by Zoe [with any common sense] but also by the author. I saw no use for him in the book whatsoever after that, but he still cropped up.


We also meet her Mother who is in a home for people with dementia. Sometimes the conversations could be quite amusing.
BUT Zoe was adopted, there is a whole big story around this [or so I thought].
Zoe's adoptive Mother though is living in a care home for people with dementia and time is running out for Zoe to know about her biological mother, but bear in mind, Zoe is now in her 30's? She was adopted at 4 years old and its taken until now? I'm very confused over that bit of information. Even though I have read it until the end.

The downside to some of the writing was issues appertaining repetitively to Zoe's height, she was exceptionally tall, I did feel like saying "OK we got that as a reader already". Please don't underestimate the readers memory.
If it had been mentioned twice, OK...ride through it, that's fine, but more than three times, no need I personally don't think.

This didn't distract from my reading, just annoyance, small one, but my gray matter picked up on it!

There is a patient that stands out in the Psychiatric wards, her name is Sophie, she has been in the mental health section for many years. She too is now in her 30's. She killed her Mother.

I haven't managed to give any spoilers away.

How did the book make me feel?

Well, it was a slow burner, but that was OK as sometimes it did speed up a bit, especially when in the Wards of the hospital, but the keep going back over Zoe's 'problems' and her researching [which I must say was done badly until right at the end when it paced up A LOT]

There were 2 things which kept me reading until the end [leisurely]

1. What is the BIG secret over the adoption and will Zoe get to the bottom of all it all, and get all the answers to her 'issues'.

2. Sophie, who has 'forgotten' if she indeed killed her Mother as a young age, if indeed what she has revealed recently is true [as it's only come out now since she is in her 30's!] and what is going to happen to her? Did she kill her, or was there a twist?


This is NOT an edge of your seat thriller.

It is a brilliant story, the psychiatric side is very believable and research has been done on drugs used, I recognized quite a few of them [only because I know someone close to me who has Bi Polar so I've had over 30 yrs experience with dealing with hospitals appertaining to mental health] I do think some more research needs to be done on the giving out of tablets so readily though as they don't do that so much now.


CONCLUSION
I stayed with it, I read it, I didn't put it down, I wasn't flicking through the pages in eager anticipation, but there was 'something' that kept my attention and that is mentioned above.
BUT once we found out what was what at the end I was "oh, is that it"
I understand this is Sandra Blocks debut novel.

Its a hard market out there. I see it first hand because of the closeness my book buddy and myself have with struggling authors, over 15,000 in our group alone, so an author has to REALLY stand out, I think that Sandra Block can be such an author. I am 100% sure she could write that "edge of your seat thriller!!

Its her first book, and based on that I am giving it a 3.07, almost 4. I have faith that this author can improve where I really want to read her next book.

Its not great, its just not a 'standout wow' book. But its GOOD.

*My review and my feelings on something are my own thoughts, own feelings and never a reflection on anyone else's and certainly not meant to frustrate or upset the author, I try to be honest as I can be*






She helps people conquer their demons. But she has a few of her own...

In the halls of the psychiatric ward, Dr. Zoe Goldman is a resident in training, dedicated to helping troubled patients. However, she has plenty of baggage of her own. When her newest patient arrives - a beautiful sociopath who murdered her mother - Zoe becomes obsessed with questions about her own mother's death. But the truth remains tauntingly out of reach, locked away within her nightmares of an uncontrollable fire. And as her adoptive mother loses her memory to dementia, the time to find the answers is running out.

As Zoe digs deeper, she realizes that the danger is not just in her dreams but is now close at hand. And she has no choice but to face what terrifies her the most. Because what she can't remember just might kill her.

Little Black Lies is about madness and memory - and the dangerous, little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.
 






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment