Thursday, 15 January 2015

Passing Through Perfect by Bette Lee Crosby

Passing Through PerfectPassing Through Perfect by Bette Lee Crosby
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one of my favorite authors. I so remember the time when she approached me on GOODREADS and thought I might enjoy her books. She offered me Cracks in the sidewalk to read and review, since then I have been hooked on each book she writes.

Passing through Perfect.

I wondered why Bette Lee Crosby would come up with this title, I found out half way through the book. I sighed, yes I literally sighed when I saw where it came from. I also feel how true that can be in life, Passing through perfect. Think on it, not all our lives are perfect, but once [if we are lucky] maybe more than once, we pass through a time in our life that is just 'perfect'.

We are thrown back to the 1950's in Alabama. Whites and blacks are segregated. Own schools, one half of a part in a store for blacks [or as they called them all then 'coloreds'] no matter where they came from, all were classified as the same. Coloreds. Some shop windows had signs up where it read 'No coloreds' meaning no one other than white folk could enter.

I can honestly say, I hate reading about those times in history as I am not a racist.

The author brings this book to life right from the very first page. This is book 3, and it follows on brilliantly from book 2.

Benjamin Church returns home after millions of soldiers have been away fighting.
We learn that Benjamin had hopes for learning how to become a pilot and fly his own plane, however, that didn't turn out that way, he did fall into becoming a mechanic though.

Upon Benjamin's return to Alabama and his home which is a farm off of a dirt track called Grinder's Corner he meets up with his father Otis. He can see his Father is ailing and heartbroken from the time he lost his wife and he feels it too, he misses his Mother. But things need to be done on the farm to get it bringing in money again, so Benjamin gets stuck in.

Soon there is a harvest festival which Benjamin attends. His father and a friend thought he might link up with a certain lady there, but although Benjamin danced with her and was very gentlemanly someone else caught his eye, it was Delia. Not all went smooth for them as you will find out when you read this.

I loved the Southern brawl within the chapters. It brings it home so well.

I really admire authors who write according to accents, according to realism and Bette Lee Crosby surely does this. Why try to use the Queens English on a person who comes from Ireland, Newcastle or indeed Alabama, keeping it real is part of why I adore this authors work.

Plus, I really love that accent too, I had a friend who spoke just like it, reading it was surely a treat to me.

Benjamin, how I loved Benjamin. A polite, feeling, loyal, kind, trustworthy guy with a deep roots of justice.

How he Fathered and was raising his son was a joy to read every step of the way.

I could get so carried away writing more and more of this story because there is so much in it.


There were several things I took away with me:

Black or white, there is good and bad within everyone.

Benjamin saw beyond certain ways of why people acted or reacted in ways not acceptable, and he knew when to be quiet.

His sense of quietness and humility came out so many times within this story.

The acceptance of "I am black, I cannot sit with white people at their table...." when invited.
His staying at a bed and breakfast and finding one breakfast room and no split between tables. "Is this the only place to sit and eat breakfast"

This really humbled me, to think back as to how black [colored] folk were treated and the acceptance.

It was brilliantly handled by this author.

Great story, well handled and kept me rooted to my spot until I finished it.


I would like to thank Bette Lee Crosby for contacting me when she has her new books out for me to read. I so feel special in being able to read them.


+This is an unbiased review. Just because I get a book gifted to me I still write honest reviews on how the book made me feel or had what impression on me+

I HAVE TO SAY, I RELATED THIS BOOK TO MY HUSBAND WHO SUBSEQUENTLY WENT ON TO READ AND ENJOY IT.


It's 1946. The war is over. Millions of American soldiers are coming home and Benjamin Church is one of them. After four years of being away he thought things in Alabama would have changed, but they haven't. Grinder's Corner is as it's always been--a hardscrabble burp in the road. It's not much, but it's home.

When Benjamin attends a harvest festival in Twin Pines, he catches sight of Delia. Before their first dance ends, he knows for certain she's the one. They fall madly in love: happily, impatiently, imprudently, in love. It doesn't matter that her daddy is staunchly opposed to the thought of his daughter marrying a cotton farmer, never mind a poor one.

It's true Benjamin has little to offer; he's a sharecropper who will spend his whole life sweating and slaving to do little more than put food on the table. But that's how things are in Alabama. Benjamin is better off than most; he has a wife, a boy he adores, and a house that doesn't leak rain. Yes, Benjamin considers himself a lucky man until the fateful night that changes everything.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment