Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Stones by Polly Johnson

StonesStones by Polly Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There are a certain selection of YA books that appeal to me, those are with moral issues and life's dilemmas.
This story was full to the brim with all of the above.

As a middle aged woman myself, you can expect me to have know all walks of life, and I was once in close proximity with someone who had a serious drink problem, although I was a step removed and only affected me via a loved one I cared about.

Coo is reeling from the death of her brother to alcohol, along with the fact of no only the consequences of his actions but the domino effect its had on her parents and hence her life there after.

She doesn't want to hear the sympathy from school friends and peers or experience the sad looks that will come her way, she really is mad at her parents from shielding her from life's reality. So we have a young girl who bunks of school. We have a mixed up young girl alone.

There Coo is by the Brighton seafront when she meets Banks. He is an alcoholic too and homeless.
The connection with Banks tightens and although her friends are saying don't, Coo still hangs around with him and his chums. They sit around drinking and talking.
Coo finds she can speak and say anything, whereas at home she is virtually invisible to her parent.
This is soon a heavy handed adventure for Coo that you see is going to take her down a road she doesn't need to go down.

It was interested to read about the homeless secter too, many people see homeless people and they are just 'there', but why? what were they before? did they have a job? a home? a family?

Having experienced loosing our home once we became homeless. We weren't tramps, we didn't beg on the street, we did at least have a safety of night of being put up in a homeless bed and breakfast until a house became available. This was quite a few years ago.

I drove a better car then the homeless helpers!! so this homeless person Banks became someone I followed very closely in the book as I had a gut instinct about him, however, would I prove to be wrong.
I just don't know whether the author would jump me on my thoughts.

The book is showing alcoholism from two sides of the coin, different directions, then we get the homeless.

Just when I started to ease back in my chair the author shoots me with another dilemma. We now have a person who is known to 'smell bad' attacking young people. Coo seems to let it go over her head when she first hears of it, but then Raven gets attacked, someone she is close to in her own Town.

Its certainly a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

There are several dilemma's and emotive issues in here that is well worth reading. Not all is pretty, and the ending isn't what you expect, but, I am so glad the author left it open for us readers to have the intelligence to work things out for ourselves.

I would like to thank HarperCollins UK, Digital Via Net Galley for my copy to read and review


Coo is trying to cope with the hand that life has dealt her. At sixteen, she feels she’s too young to have lost her older brother, Sam, to alcoholism. She’s skipping school to avoid the sympathy and questions of her friends and teachers, and shunning her parents, angry that they failed to protect her, and desperate to avoid having to face the fact that, towards the end, she began to wish Sam would leave forever – even die. Then, one day, truanting by the Brighton seafront, Coo meets Banks, a homeless alcoholic and she’s surprised to discover that it is possible for her life to get more complicated.Despite warnings from her friends and family, Coo and Banks develop an unlikely friendship. Brought together through a series of unexpected events, strange midnight feasts, a near drowning and the unravelling of secrets, together they seek their chance for redemption. That is, until Coo’s feelings start getting dangerously out of hand. 








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment