Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, 13 November 2014

Run, Lily, Run by Martha Long

Run, Lily, RunRun, Lily, Run by Martha Long
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I finished reading this yesterday but I have had to sit and think about my review.

While the concept of the book and story line was good, I found myself very confused at times.

The beginning of the book starts where two young girls [sisters] loose their Mother in death. Of course, they need to find a way to sustain the rent, food on the table or they may be taken to the poor house. I'm not sure what happened as there was no lead up for me {and I was concentrating] I read it several pages over again to make sure I had been paying attention and not missed anything but.....a melee broke out.

There was pages and pages that concentrated on all different people that ended up in the dead Mother's house and I thought it was because they had come to take the children away. I know mention of the NSPCC was in amongst the pages, but also, someone was was arguing about who was taking over the house from the Council. Arguments ensued about she was, no he was, no she was......among all of this one of the girls ran. Lily. She ran to a trusted shop owner. Whereupon she told him all about what was happening, he and his grown daughter took her back into the vicinity of her home again..........telling her to stay hidden on the corner. Of course, she didn't.


The reason I was so distracted from this story is because its way of being written.

I applaud authors who use the correct dialect for the County or Country. I love to see a person speaking and its spelling being in the same language/slang that they speak.

For example:

"We love ya'll Ma'am" [this is NOT appertaining to this book its not Southern talk] but it has a dialect that is not only used for the person speaking [dialogue] but also the narration of the book which is totally off putting for me at least.

In my humble opinion if the narration was written in just 'normal spoken voice' and the dialogue was the only accent written, it would have been so much easier for me to follow.

Because I had to work so hard with this book in following it, I have no choice to give it 3 stars, however, if it was easier to read I would have definitely given it 4.

Please don't allow my review to sway you, read it for yourself and see if you enjoy it. I am just one voice.


I would like to thank Random House UK, Transworld Publishers via net galley for the chance to read and review this book


Lily and Ceily Carney are only seven and twelve when their mother is cruelly taken from them, leaving them at the mercy of the Church and the authorities.





This is a terrifying prospect in 1950s Dublin, where it is likely that the girls will end up in one of Ireland’s notorious Magdalen laundries – a fate they are determined to escape.





When Father Flitters and the ‘Cruelty’ people arrive to take the children into care, Lily and Ceily resist, and a riot breaks out. The girls are helped by kind Mister Mullins and his daughter Delia, but events lead to further tragedy and Lily is left to fend for herself on the dangerous streets. Heartbroken, hungry and vulnerable, she looks like easy prey and it seems there will be no safe haven for her to find







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment