Sunday, 12 October 2014

The Ribs and Thigh Bones of Desire by Sandra Hutchison

The Ribs and Thigh Bones of DesireThe Ribs and Thigh Bones of Desire by Sandra Hutchison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read the The Awful Mess by Sandra Hutchinson some time ago and enjoyed is so much I asked her when she would be writing another book. She wasn't too sure at that time. Months went by and I contacted her again. So I was surprised when she contacted me to say "Sue, would you like to read my new book". I was delighted.

I've had quite a few things happen in my personal life which has meant many authors awaiting a review from me and Sandra Hutchinson has been waiting several weeks. I have finally found some time to catch up.

The Ribs and Thigh Bones of Desire

This starts off with David, his wife and his young daughter taking a flight, something very bad happens. All that David can recall is the crash, later the burning and the storm. His hand is very badly burned, but he is alive.

We see David go through heaps of emotions, and also his sister trying to cope with the aftermath. However she cannot stay looking after him forever, this is where the baby sister who looked after his daughter comes in. Her name is Molly. She is 16 years of age but is very grown up and mature for her age, we get to understand why because we also get an insight to her life with her eccentric Mother. Well, I see her as eccentric. I am not sure if the author meant to portray her in this light be I found her fascinating.

Molly's mother has, shall we say.....sexual artistic tendencies. Her artwork appears umm quite interestingly baffling.

Because Molly's mother is 'out there' sexually some appear to think her daughter too follows in her mothers footsteps and see her in the wrong light, they couldn't be further from the truth.

We see Molly being asked by Davids sister to take care of certain things in the home and David himself. Of course, Molly and David are becoming close. That would be inevitable, but as friends, and emotional support.

When David was admitted into a psychiatric hospital Molly is the only person David thinks of when he needs something. That's when he realizes that maybe, just maybe he is seeing Molly in a light that he shouldn't and tries hard to push it to the background.

There is heaps in this story that keep you turning pages. But I can tell you that the ending is not what you would expect.

I'm trying very hard not to give away spoilers, and I don't think I have so far, just a brief outline of 'some' of the interesting things that are in this book.

Talking of which, David's wife left behind a book personal to her thoughts I found that a page turner.

I hope I have whet your apatite to take a further look into this secound book written by Sandra Hutchinson.

My Personal Thoughts

I have on some occasions spoken to this author and I also have her as a friend on my Facebook wall. I follow her messages from her wall. If I have learnt one thing is that Sandra does have a good way with words and a light sense of humor, I saw this come out several times in this book between dialogue that went on.
Especially with Molly's mother.

I would call them "one liners" which did on several occasions make me giggle.


I would like to thank Sandra Hutchinson for taking the time to contact me and allow me to read a copy of her brand new book. I have a feeling this author will always deliver.





It’s the summer of 1977 in a small town in Western Massachusetts. Physics professor David Asken has just lost his young family in a plane crash he somehow survived. Sixteen-year-old neighbor Molly Carmichael used to be the babysitter, but now will be keeping house for him while he recuperates. He’s quietly planning to end his life just as soon as he can drive again. She’s trying to cope with being known as Tampon Girl, thanks to her notorious artist mother.
Both man and girl are going to have to grow up the hard way, and it’s their unexpected connection — fraught with potential scandal — that may just help them do it.
This provocative coming-of-age novel asks the question: Is there ever a time when doing the wrong thing might be exactly right?
Note: Contains adult themes and bad language




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment