Monday, 20 October 2014

Gone for Good by David Bell

Gone for GoodGone for Good by David Bell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I was attracted to this book by not only the cover but the blurb. I'm glad I was able to read and have the privilege reviewing it.

At the start of the story we learn that Elizabeth Hampton have been called by a Detective to meet her at her Mother's home.

On arrival there are police and the author lays the foundation through Elizabeth's eyes how she feels and what she sees around her.

She hadn't spoken to her Mother in several years, they had fallen out. She left home at an early age and now she is 26 yrs old, a mature young lady.

She has a brother who has Down's syndrome, he is a little older than her. She then realizes, where is he, where is Ronnie her brother. She is assured he is fine and sat in his bedroom chatting to a police officer.

When she was told by the Detective there was a problem and to get over to her Mother's house right away, she thought it may have been about her brother, alas, its about her Mother. She is dead. And they say, she has been murdered. In her own home.

The descriptive way the author has in writing draws you in, its like Elizabeth is actually narrating the story to you, telling you how she feels, what's she's thinking, what thoughts she has about the present, past and future. I found it very well told between dialogue. Once you have read this, you will understand what I mean.


Quote:

I looked around the small familiar living room I grew up in. The house I lived in until I was 18 years old and left home for College. Everything was neat and orderly as always. Vacuumed and dusted. No clutter on the entertainment center. It never changed. Next to Mom's chair sat one of her books, crossword puzzle, a pen, reading glasses. Next to the chair, a shelf with family pictures.

Unquote:

David Bell the author of this remarkable read sets the setting well, so well, you can envision everything in the room. Not only that, he is giving clues. I found from that setting the Mom was orderly, clean, tidy. Organised.

The author has a way of setting you right in the middle of where the action is. It really is cleverly done to transport you into the pages.

I thought this story was going to be mostly about a "who done it" boy was I so wrong.

The person of course in the frame was her brother Ronnie.

We met Paul who was her Mother's brother. He has a heart problem.
He became the person she would attach herself too, also to a long standing friend who is a friend with benefits.

There were 'shockers' in this read. Its certainly NOT straight forward. Its got hidden conjectives in this story which take you to many avenues, many roads to go down and some are not pleasant.

Hidden secrets, lies, shame, and utter brainstormingly wonderfulness from this author.

Just as I thought this was what the story was about, it lead somewhere else. I've traveled many roads in this read, never boring ones, never diverse ones, never humps in the road that leave you feeling bumpy, but certainly breathtaking.
Never a dead end or a cul-de-sac, it kept moving at a pace that kept you screaming "what the hell is going to come up now"!!!

I don't know where this author got the idea for this story, but I am oh so glad he wrote it down for us to share. I loved this book, I am just wondering now, are his other books as brilliant as this? Because I would recommend this read to everyone who loves this genre, mind you, I would say, even if you don't usually go for a book in this genre, give it a go because you are going to be pleasantly surprised.


I would like to thank Penguin Books (UK) via Net Galley for allowing me the pleasure of reading this authors work



Elizabeth Hampton has not spoken to her mother in weeks when she gets the phone call. Her mother has been found dead under suspicious circumstances.


But who would want to kill a kind old woman who stayed at home to care for her son Ronnie's special needs? And why did her mother recently change her Will?


The police tell Elizabeth that this is not only a murder investigation - her brother Ronnie is the prime suspect.


Desperate to prove her brother's innocence, Elizabeth begins to unravel dark family secrets, double lives and the shocking truth behind her own identity.

Will add other links when available





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment