Thursday, 23 October 2014

Desperate by Christine Wilkinson

DesperateDesperate by Christine Wilkinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really am thankful to this author for allowing me to read and review this book.

I had such high hopes for this after reading the blurb, but I have to say that I am so bewildered by many things that I read in its pages.

The brutality of Eris at the hands of her husband is awful to read. But its important to the story, actually its vital to the story.

I found Eris to be a strong person, the plot of the story is very very good, but I found it disjointed.

I'm trying very hard to explain what I mean, the only thing I can say is, if I was reading a long outline of what the story is about, the plots, what leads on from what, who is who and what will happen, it all fits, but the 'something' missing is the building on what is all there. It needs rounding out, developing in places as it seems hurried.

I cannot for the life of me see how someone who has been abused jumps into the lap and grinds her groin against someone who she doesn't know, he's a complete stranger and she is attracted to just moments after being raped by those men..
I mean no disrespect to the author, but I felt that more research needed to be done, unless someone was terribly warped emotionally I cannot see this happening?? As the author portrayed Eris to be such a strong unrelenting character and after just being abused by several men sexually, how could she within hours think such a thing?

The plot is superb. The murders, the twists, the outcomes is highly readable and I loved it, but I fail to grasp certain aspects in behavior.

It really needs some serious rounding out, serious expanding, and relooking at to make this the superb book that this could be.

I really do think this has GREAT grounded for a superb fantastic thriller.


Intended for mature readers aged 18+. Debut novel Desperate is a dark and disturbing psychological thriller about an abusive, manipulative, powerful man whose life comes apart when his wife finally breaks free and disappears. Finding refuge with a local cop, she begins the fight for her life, and in the process, uncovers secrets her husband buried long ago. A gut-wrenching and emotional story with an unpredictable and intense ending. Not for the faint-of-heart!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment