Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Mazie Baby by Julie Frayn

Mazie BabyMazie Baby by Julie Frayn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have been sitting on the review for a couple of days. Not because I didn't like it, I did! Oh boy did I love this book, the authors style of writing is just up my street! The subject matter isn't very nice to read but of course we have to face reality that not all is well in this world and harsh, horrible, terrible things happen and as for me, although this is a fictional story, for some, its a reality. I like to face things head on.

I was wondering about the title when I received this direct from the author. Mazie Baby. I had preconceived ideas which were way off the mark, which was a plus side as it meant that I was surprised. Mazie is the Mother, the main character in the story. The woman abused, mistreated and the person in receipt of all the anger, angst, brutality coming from the husband who she first fell in love with and was oh so charmingly nice. Once upon a time.

Yes there were times when it was awful to read. The reading lines are compelling. You get gripped into this story and clutched into its web that it traps you without you even realizing that you're trapped in amongst this heart rendering emotional story.

When you realize there is a young girl here [their daughter] who also is a victim, we see that come out later, she's a victim because she 'knows', she may not have been there some times when the beatings took place, but she had eyes, she could see. Why did her Mommy wear so many scarfs? And in the home also?

There was a nosy neighbor, at least, that is how Mazie saw her, but we later come to see she is her rock, she is her best friend, she is one of her saviors in a life that she and her daughter was existing in.

The 'freeing' of Mazie and her daughter from her abusive husband is something that is gruesome. But its a need to be written. It completes the end.


I have often wondered why a woman would stay so long with a man such as this. The court case at the end brings out to me something I have never thought of.

The author has done a fantastic job in bringing out emotions in me, but more importantly has taught me something about this situation. OK, its a fictional work, however, there are truths, home truths, amongst its pages that threw the words out as me to digest, take in and devour.

I am so glad I got to read this. I love a story I can 'get into' and takes me over into the characters lives and this author JULIE FRAYN did this.

I have to say, I loved it, never having read any of this authors books before I would love to read more of her work.

I would encourage you to seek this authors work out and if you read it, be sure to leave her a review.


When Mazie Reynolds was a young girl, she believed monsters lived under her bed. Now a grown, married woman, she discovers one sleeps in her bed. 

Mazie schemes to save herself and her daughter. Her plan will work, if she can out-maneuver the monster who is a master of manipulation and control. She’s got one thing going for her, the one thing she truly owns. Mazie has moxie to the bone. But will it be enough?






View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Sue, for reading Mazie Baby, and for such a thoughtful review. :)

    ReplyDelete