Friday, 5 September 2014

Letters to My Daughter's Killer by Cath Staincliffe

Letters to My Daughter's KillerLetters to My Daughter's Killer by Cath Staincliffe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Excellent.

Ruth Sutton is the grandmother of the girl who was murdered sadly leaving behind a husband and child.
When she gets the phone call one evening from the husband she is struck, what she asks seems irrational to you or I reading this book, but the woman was in utter shock.

In order to rid herself of her emotions and feelings, or maybe to gain some peace in her life, she decides to write to the Killer.

We see how the Police where involved in the early stages of a stalker. But after a time he went away. No bother. But is it the stalker or the prowler that they saw in their garden the night before? Or was it some random attack.

We also see how deep her thinking goes.

Her granddaughters husband was at the gym at the time of the attack. The little child was at home. Did she see it happen? Is she affected by this? Lots of questions going around and around in her head.

Although its written like a letter from chapter to chapter it still reads like a novel. Its very cleverly done. In the writing of the letters themselves things are revealed.

Her emotions are raw. Her vengeance is strong. Writing to him doesn't really eleviate her emotions, in fact in some way its making them stronger.

At the beginning of the book I was wondering if I would like this. But I found myself being drawn in and feeling like the Gran.

Amazing piece of work. I enjoyed it anyway!

I would like to thank Little, Brown Book Group UK via Net Galley for allowing me to read and review this book.





Grandmother Ruth Sutton writes to the man she hates more than anyone else on the planet: the man who she believes killed her daughter Lizzie in a brutal attack four years earlier. Ruth's burden of grief and hatred, has only grown heavier with the passing of time, her avid desire for vengeance ever stronger. In writing to him Ruth hopes to exorcise the corrosive emotions that are destroying her life, to find the truth and with it release and a way forward. Whether she can ever truly forgive him is another matter - but the letters are her last, best hope.

Letters To My Daughter's Killer exposes the aftermath of violent crime for an ordinary family and explores fundamental questions of crime and punishment. How do we deal with the very human desire for revenge? If we get justice does reconciliation follow? Can we really forgive those who do us the gravest wrong? Could you?








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment