Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Touched by Joanna Briscoe

TouchedTouched by Joanna Briscoe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think this is what I would call a 'Marmite book' You either love it, or hate it. It either captures your interest and you need to read more and more until you get to the end to see what's what, or you moan all the way through.

I love Marmite :) so this was a great chilling book for me.

Because I don't read creepy books much, maybe this was as much as I could take without hiding behind the sofa. Things that go bump in the night and I'm half a mile away I can tell you!!!

Anyway, the bit where one by one her children go missing really upped the interest for me, I was then so gripped into it that I had to sit and finish it. Find out what on earth was happening.

My only downfall [if it really is one] was I got a little bit bored of the going over and over of the details of the house. OK it mattered, but just a little bit OTT for me.

On the whole, I liked this book. It was fantastic for me to read something different on a rainy afternoon like this one.

I'd like to thank Random House UK, Cornerstone via Net Galley for allowing me to read and give my opinion on this book.


A chilling, deeply creepy Hammer novella by Joanna Briscoe, author of the acclaimed, bestselling novel, Sleep With Me.

1963: Rowena Crale and her family have recently moved into an old house in a small English village.

But the house appears to be resisting all attempts at renovation.

Walls ooze damp. Stains come through layers of wallpaper. Ceilings sag. And strange noises - voices - emanate from empty rooms.

As Rowena struggles with the upheaval of builders while trying to be a dutiful wife to her husband and a good mother to her five small children, her life starts to disintegrate.

And then her eldest and prettiest daughter goes missing.

Out in the village, a frantic search is mounted - while inside the house reveals its darkest secret: a hidden room with no windows and no obvious entrance.

Boarded up, it smells of old food, disinfectant - and death...

Set in a world where appearances are everything, and nothing is as it seems, Touched is unsettling, claustrophobic, and utterly gripping.








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment