Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, 13 December 2013

Leslie's Bus by Clair Louise Coult

Leslie's BusLeslie's Bus by Clair Louise Coult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

** I was gifted the book by the author for an honest review**

Thank you Clair Louise Coult

Firs let me say, I have read all of this authors books and enjoyed them. I know some have been critical of her work, but that is mostly within the differences between wording used within her books. "Slang" does take place in the real world, I live in the UK so I am familiar with how this book comes across and its made perfect sense to me, just like the others that I have read by her.

This is a brilliant story of our time in history where we are at with youths of today. At aged 16 I never dreamt of doing the things that Susan did. But times change, and this is portrayed in this authors book. At the grand age of 16, she is like any other girl, full of raging hormones. Knows it all, or think she does. Make choices without thinking of consequences too much if at all. It can lead her in all sorts of problems.

She has family problems, in this day and age they use the word 'dysfunctional' and that is where Susan steams from. Her mother is in a mental hospital, her father has a girlfriend and she's pregnant, Susan is left to her own devices. No rules. No guidance. She's lonely. She meets Paul.
Now Paul belongs to the New Age travellers who takes her on a journey of his own!

Drugs and drink.Parties, and raves. But at least Paul is honest.

But nothing stays the same, she is heart broken and now meets Leslie. This is where the title of the book cover comes into play. This is what I was loving, the tie in with the title. I was wondering what the heck is the title for? Now I know.

She's travelling on a bus with him, but the journey on the but is just the start of the journey with Leslie, not all meets the eye.

I can see how Clair Louise Coult has developed as an author. From her first book to this one is a major change in the way she writes, as in more fluent. The story is knitted together very well.

And I loved it.

Looking forward to reading more from this author. I will never get tired of her work.

View all my reviews

Blurb

You do a lot of daft stuff when you're sixteen, when you're full of hormones and angst and you're convinced the world is against you. You can let your guard drop and do things that you'd never dream of doing." 

With her mother in a mental hospital and her father preoccupied with his pregnant girlfriend, Susan Blake is lost and lonely. She finds an unlikely friend in Paul, a New Age traveller, and he introduces her to the colourful and exciting British alternative scene of the 1990's. Susan discovers a world full of drugs and alcohol, raves, parties and festivals, but not everyone is as nice or as honest as Paul. 

When Susan's world falls apart she finds comfort in the arms of Leslie, a charismatic and seasoned traveller. He shares his alternative philosophy as they travel on his bus, but will she heed the warnings that there is more to him than meets the eye? 

Leslie's Bus is a touching and at times harrowing story of a young woman's self discovery. 

Contains strong language, drug use, sexually explicit scenes, sexual abuse and violence






No comments:

Post a Comment